The Custom titanium road bike dubbed "Bombshell" is on the road. Coming in at 17lbs with a Campagnolo Chorus build and components designed for reliability vs. light weight, she has a very respectable weight.
The frame follows the same theme as well. Reliability and ride-ability vs light weight. This 53.5 toptube frame comes in at 1500grams. No thinned out super light titanium, no internal routing to save extra weight, just a classic frame conceived to give you the beautiful ride quality titanium is known for.
This is NOT intended as a race frame, it is NOT intended to be a KOM hunter (the rider makes a bike fast the bike does not!), however with those preconceived design notions gone we are left with a frame and bicycle that offers something else.... enjoyment.
- We ditched the oversized seat tube in favour of a 27.2 post. this aids in the comfort but also gives the frame that nice and classic kinetic flex so many people love (and those without it love to hate on).
- The geometry has been altered just enough to give a more stable and comfortable wheelbase without completely sacrificing the quick road feel.
- Kept the classic lines purely for aesthetics (compact frames and slopping top tubes just look ugly... don't they?)
- All external routing to make cable changes a breeze and to ensure the frame rides nice and quiet over event the roughest roads.... no one likes housing rattle noises.
- Frame will fit a 28c tire if by chance you enjoy those gravel roads. Side note... those gravel roads won't ding or damage this titanium frame or her finish. She is sexy, but also tough as nails. So ride hard and ride away from your buddies when the roads get less then ideal for others....
More ride reports as the kilometers pile up on the Bombshell, in the meantime she is available to view (touch, lick and smell too.... she has already been licked and stamped and "own it" by the shop) at Inception Cyclery.
Other frames in to view......
Lucky No.5 - a ChargeHard MTB frame with a blend of race pedigree and trail aggressive behaviours.
Coffee Grinder - Our take on the gravel bike, designed to run a Lauf (or suspension fork).
See you out there, likely at Balzacs for coffee!
The first prototype will be in the LOIC line-up. A 650b Hardtail designed to be race ready, but also set to #ChargeHard under an aggressive rider. What this means is a stable and planted bike at speed, but nimble enough to handle tight trails and tight switchbacks.
Geometry is being finalized and the prototype will be produced over the winter in preparation for riding and racing in the summer of 2016.
It is out there... riding the roads of Niagara and beyond, have you seen it yet?
Watch for some upcoming news and reviews regarding the build, frame and the ride!
When it comes to getting out on the road and laying down some rubber on the tarmac my favorite thing to ride this season has not been my ultra light carbon bicycle, it has been my old, heavy, cromoly lugged road bicycle with friction downtube shifters.
I can not tell you exactly what it is about the bicycle that brings me such pleasure, but I know it is something worth preserving and offering up to everyone. You are not a cyclist until you have spent a lot of time riding an old steel lugged frame with downtube shifters, it is simply amazing.
Enter a new idea, and an off-season project to prototype for a Number Four Cycles product. "The Definitive."